Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ramblings

I had always been wondering - am I really destined to know everything I wanted to, yet not be able to utilize them to the utmost I desire?

The immediately preceding post before this one (Knowledge) is a conclusion I came up with after reading this wikipedia entry about geeks. Knowledge for knowledge's sake is a path of life for many - and I think I'm among those who have chosen this path.

I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge. As a matter of fact, my love for traveling is but an offshoot of my desire to know the world better by viewing it through my own eyes. I was not one to travel for traveling's sake, but rather I journeyed because i wanted to acquire the knowledge firsthand via my five (or perhaps six) senses.

Never before had I acknowledged my affiliation to geekdom, but it was never an issue anyway. All the people around me saw me as the general info quiz bee champion, nothing more and nothing less.

All of that is just a fraction of what I really want. Deep inside, I do not simply wish to just know. In reality, I wanted to know and apply the knowledge I have acquired. I want to know how the food in different parts of the world taste like, and how the local people cook them, and I wanted to cook them myself if I really enjoyed the taste.

But lately I have seen that things are not going the way I would have wanted. The past few years have borne witness to how much wisdom I have acquired, yet there wasn't much instances when the information proved handy for my part. True, I know how the greatest writers in history have been able to persuade their followers, but I never had the skill to simulate that and capture the effect even in a small scale.

I know lots of things, yet not many people know that I do; the reason behind so simple - I never let anyone know what I know. Don't call me selfish or something, I'd share my knowledge if I could. But of course, a large amount of information isn't so useful to begin with - there's just too much clutter and what is truly essential may be hidden well among the mess I call my memories.

One thing's for sure though, the knowledge of which among the information in my memories are useful is one of the things I've yet to know. Perhaps when I've grown wise enough to discern which is trash and which is a gem, I'd have stopped rambling about mundane stuff such as this.

No comments: